I can still feel the pain, embarrassment and helplessness of being my 12 year-old self, as if it was yesterday. 14 years have come and gone, but the emotions attached to the year I started pulling out my hair are still hauntingly vivid.
If I had something like CBSN back in the day, I might have learned some of the lessons listed below much earlier. I could have saved myself from a ton of pain and tears. I wouldn’t have felt so alone or strange. I needed CBSN back then, but I am glad to have it now. If my parents, teachers or my friends had somewhere they could learn about what was happening, would things have been different? CBSN’s ultimate goal is to create awareness about BFRBs, so that people know they are NOT alone. I never had a CBSN, so let’s make sure this generation does.
If I could tell my 12 year-old self about how things will turn out, I would say the following:
- The situation you are in right now is temporary
- Your parents/siblings mean well, although you might take it differently
- This is not your fault
- Right now may seem like the end of the world, but trust me, there are better days ahead
- Those kids who taunt you day after day will not remember what they did or how they made you feel, but you will always remember what it felt like to be on the receiving line of their actions
- You feel ugly now, but you are beautiful
- You will find amazing new friends who are just as strange as you (in all the right ways)
- You will go to school to help other kids just like you
- You will like yourself for who you are – imperfections and all
- You will overcome everything you feel like you can’t take at this moment
- You are needed
- You will meet someone and fall in love
- The pain and suffering you deal with on a daily basis will come to an end
- The kids & teachers who are making your life a living hell, will soon become a memory
- You will look back on this time and consider it just a tiny part of your life story
- You will be accepted
- You will be a great member of society
If you could write a letter to yourself at the age when you developed your BFRB, what would you say?
CBSN Founder – Sarah
Follow her on Twitter: @skrobertson89
The Sarah We Knew Then…
The Sarah we know now..